sábado, 1 de junho de 2019

Modal Verbs #01 [Exercícios com Gabarito]

QUESTÃO 01:
Q1. I didn’t feel very well yesterday. I ..... eat anything.
(   ) cannot     (   ) couldn’t     (   )mustn’t

Q2. You ..... look at me when I am talking to you.
(   ) could     (   ) should     (   ) would

Q3. I was using my pencil a minute ago. It ..... be here somewhere!
(   ) can     (   ) could     (   ) must     (   ) would

Q4. You really ..... be late again.
(   ) must not     (   ) don’t have to be

Q5. If you don’t start working harder, you ..... repeat the course next year.
(   ) have to     (   ) must     (   ) will have to

Q6. His parents spoil him. He’s always ..... to do whatever he wants.
(   ) been able     (   ) been allowed

Q7. Phone her now. She ..... home by now.
(   ) has to be     (   ) must be     (   ) would be

Q8. You ..... forget your sun cream. It’s going to be very hot!
(   ) don’t have to     (   ) mustn’t     (   ) needn’t

Q9. I ..... be able to help you, but I’m not sure yet.
(   ) might     (   ) would

Q10. Entrance to the museum was free. We ..... pay to get in.
(   ) needn’t     (   ) didn’t need to

Q11. Already as a child Mozart ..... play the piano beautifully.
(   ) could     (   ) should     (   ) would

Q12. Which sign are you more likely to see at an airport: Bags ..... not be left unattended.
(   ) can     (   ) must     (   ) may

Q13. I really ..... try to get fit.
(   ) may     (   ) must     (   ) would

Q14. ..... take a photograph of you?
(   ) Am I allowed to     (   ) May I

Q15. Students ..... borrow up to 6 books at any time.
(   ) are allowed to     (   ) could

Q16. Whose is this bag? - I don’t know, but it ..... belong to Yuta.
(   ) could     (   ) may     (   ) should     (   ) would

Q17. ..... I go to the bathroom, please?
(   ) May     (   ) Must     (   ) Would

Q18. His excuse ..... be true, but I don’t believe.
(   ) can     (   ) may

Q19. It’s very important to ..... speak more than one language.
(   ) can     (   ) be able to

Q20. I don’t like ..... get up early on a Sunday.
(   ) being able to     (   ) being allowed to     (   ) having to
Q21. ..... you speak French? - Only a few words, but my Russian is pretty good.
(   ) Can     (   ) Could

Q22. ..... you help me move this table? (Both answers are possible. Choose the more polite request.)
(   ) Can     (   ) Could

Q23. I ..... talk already before I was two years old.
(   ) could     (   ) should     (   ) would

Q24. I ..... help you, but I don’t want to.
(   ) can     (   ) could     (   ) would

Q25 ...... you open the window, please.
(   ) Can     (   ) May

Q26. I ..... move the table. It was too heavy.
(   ) couldn’t     (   ) mustn’t     (   ) shouldn’t     (   ) wouldn’t

Q27. You ..... not put your feet on the cafeteria tables.
(   ) must not     (   ) do not have to

Q28. If you continue to practise so hard, you ..... beat me before too long!
(   ) can     (   ) could     (   ) will be able to

Q29. ..... you swim? (Both are possible. Which is better?)
(   ) Are you able to     (   ) Can

Q30. You ..... eat so much chocolate. It’s not good for you.
(   ) don’t have to     (   ) mustn’t     (   ) shouldn’t

Q31. I’m afraid I ..... play tennis tomorrow. I’ve got a dentist appointment.
(   ) can’t     (   ) couldn’t     (   ) would not be able to

Q32. You can come to the meeting if you want but you ......
(   ) have to     (   ) don’t have to     (   ) mustn’t

Q33. What do you want to do? - Well, we ..... have a picnic, but it looks like rain.
(   ) can     (   ) could     (   ) should     (   ) would

Q34. I’m so hungry I ..... eat a horse!
(   ) can     (   ) could     (   ) must     (   ) should

Q35. The test starts at 10.30. You ..... be late.
(   ) don’t have to     (   ) mustn’t

Q36. Why didn’t you tell me? I ..... you!
(   ) could help     (   ) could have helped     (   ) was able to help     (   ) would help

Q37. How did you do in the test? - Ok. It ..... worse!
(   ) could be     (   ) could have been     (   ) might be     (   ) would have been

Q38. He ..... broken the classroom window. He wasn’t even in school today.
(   ) couldn’t have     (   ) mustn’t     (   ) shouldn’t have

Q39. You ..... tired. You’ve only just got out of bed!
(   ) don’t have to be     (   ) can’t be     (   ) mustn’t be

Q40. She ..... be very pleased with herself. She got the best grades.
(   ) has to     (   ) must     (   ) cannot

QUESTÃO 02: Modal verbs short answers. Choose the right forms have to, don't have to, can, can't, should or shouldn't to complete the following sentences in English.

A: Can you come for a coffee after the meeting?
B: No, I __________. I’m sorry – I have to go home.

A: Do I have to pay for the meal now?
B: No, you __________. You can pay when you leave.

A: Should we phone to say we’re going to be late?
B: Yes, we __________. Here’s my phone.

A: Can we leave our luggage during the break?
B: Yes, you __________. But don’t leave any money.

A: Do you think I should write about my education background?
B: Yes, you __________. You can get a better job.

A: My child is five. Do you have to buy him a ticket?
B: Yes, you __________. It costs half the price of an adult ticket.

A: Do you have to get up early tomorrow?
B: No, I __________. I can stay in bed.

A: Can you speak English?
B: Yes, I __________. I lived in London for 5 years.

A: Should we leave him the message?
B: Yes, we ___________. He won’t be worried about us.

A: Should I study more on English grammar?
B: No, you __________. You know it very well already.

QUESTÃO 03:
Q1. I have no idea about computers, but John ____ help you.
(   ) could     (   ) might be able to     (   ) would

Q2. I had some problems repairing the roof by myself, but in the end I _____ do it without help.
(   ) could     (   ) was able to

Q3. The cafeteria was full. I ____ find a seat anywhere. (   ) couldn’t     (   ) wasn’t able to

Q4. You _____ told me it was his birthday. I would have bought him a present.
(   ) might have     (   ) must have     (   ) would have

Q5. Do you think we _____ take photos in here?             
(   ) are allowed to     (   ) may

Q6. Don’t call him now. He ____ have got out of bed yet.
(   ) might not     (   ) should not     (   ) would not

Q7. It _____ be easy for Mary. Her parents died when she was only 4 years old.
(   ) can’t     (   ) mustn’t     (   ) shouldn’t     (   ) wouldn’t

Q8. John’s usually home by now. Where do you think he is? - He _____ late. He has a big project to finish.          
(   ) might be working     (   ) might work     (   ) must work      (   ) could work

Q9. I _____ remember to buy milk on the way home.
(   ) have to    (   ) must

Q10. England are going to win the World Cup. - You _____ be joking!     
(   ) could     (   ) must     (   ) ought to     (   ) would

Q11. She’s in hospital with a head injury. She _____ wearing her helmet!
(   ) can’t have been     (   ) could be      (   ) must have been     (   ) would have been

Q12. I _____ buy a new computer. This one keeps breaking down.
(   ) have to     (   ) must

Q13. How are things? - Ok. They _____ worse!
(   ) could be     (   ) could have been     (   ) would be

Q14. The test starts at 10.30. You _____ be here until 10.15, but you can come earlier if you want.
(   ) mustn’t     (   ) needn’t

Q15. You _____ tell me what she said. I’m dying to know.           
(   ) have to     (   ) must

Q16. The boss said that you _____ let me use this computer.
(   ) have to      (   ) must

Q17. Why were you late? You ______ be here at 10.30!
(   ) should     (   ) ought to     (   ) were supposed to

Q18. It was so foggy that I _____ see my hand in front of face!
(   ) couldn’t     (   ) wasn’t able to

Q19. He was speaking so softly that I _____ understand a word he was saying!
(   ) couldn’t     (   ) wasn’t able to

Q20. I _____ leave now. My parents want me home by midnight.
- Both answers are possible. Which answer is better to express an external compulsion rather than an internal desire?
(   ) have to     (   ) must

Q21. Let’s meet for lunch tomorrow. We _____ discuss our holiday plans.
(   ) can     (   ) will be able to

Q22. Yuta played very well yesterday, but in the end I _____ beat him!                                       (   ) could     (   ) was able to

Q23. At first she didn’t want to go with me, but I _____ make her change her mind.
(   ) could     (   ) was able to

Q24. I _____ play golf recently. I’ve been too busy.
(   ) couldn’t     (   )haven’t been able to

Q25. When I was a child we were not _____ to get down from the table until we had finished all our food.
(   ) able to     (   ) allowed to

Q26. Where’s Miho? - I don’t know. She _____ home already.
(   ) can have gone     (   ) must go     (   ) must have gone     (   ) would have gone

Q27. There was no other car involved in the accident. He _____ fallen asleep at the wheel.
(   ) can’t have     (   ) must have     (   ) would have

Q28. Why was the science teacher so bad-tempered yesterday? - She _____ a headache.
(   ) may have     (   ) may have had     (   ) would have     (   ) would have had

Q29. You _____ that! It made her really upset.
(   ) didn’t ought to say     (   ) ought not to say     (   ) ought not to have said     (   ) ought to have not said

Q30. Why didn’t she say hello? - She _____ seen you.
(   ) couldn’t have     (   ) mustn’t have     (   ) ought not to have

Q31. I _____ going back to England next month. I’m not sure yet.
(   ) might be     (   ) must be     (   ) would be

Q32. You _____ be serious! The ball was on the line. (With thanks to John McEnroe, tennis player.)
(   ) are not allowed to     (   ) cannot     (   ) must not     (   ) should not

Q33. The girl _____ convince the teacher that her dog really had eaten her homework!
(   ) was able to     (   ) could

Q34. (Which sign are you more likely to see in a park?) All dogs _____ kept on a lead!
(   ) have to be     (   ) must be

Q35. You _____ helped him. He could have done it by himself!
(   ) must have     (   ) need have     (   ) needn’t     (   ) needn’t have

Q36. Could I ask you to do me a favour? - Of course, you _____!    (   ) can     (   ) could

Q37. Do you like my new watch? It only cost $3! - Sorry, you _____ a good watch for so little money!
(   ) can’t have bought     (   ) mustn’t buy     (   ) shouldn’t have bought

Q38. I ______ leave now. My parents want me home by midnight.(Both answers are possible. Which answer is better to express an external compulsion rather than an internal desire?)
(   ) have to     (   ) must

Q39. Are both the following sentences correct?
This desk is too heavy. It cannot be lifted.
This desk is too heavy. It is not able to be lifted.

(   ) Yes.     (   ) No, the first sentence is incorrect.     (   ) No, the second sentence is incorrect.

Q40. Are both the following sentences correct?
As a child I could do anything I wanted.
As a child I once could drive my father’s car.
                 
(   ) Yes.     (   ) No, the first sentence is incorrect.     (   ) No, the second sentence is incorrect

GABARITO
QUESTÃO 01:
01. couldn’t
02. should
03. must
04. must not
05. will have to
06. been allowed
07. must be
08. mustn’t
09. might
10. didn’t need to
11. could
12. must
13. must
14. May I
15. are allowed to
16. may
17. May
18. may
19. be able to
20. having to
21. Can
22. Could
23. could
24. could
25. Can
26. couldn’t
27. must not
28. will be able to
29. Can
30. shouldn’t
31. can’t
32. don’t have to
33. could
34. could
35. mustn’t
36. could have helped
37. could have been
38. couldn’t have
39. can’t be
40. must

QUESTÃO 02:
Can’t
Don’t
Should
Can
Should
Do
Don’t
Can
Should
Shouldn’t

QUESTÃO 03:
01. might be able to       
02. was able to 
03. couldn’t
04. might have
05. are allowed to
06. might not
07. can’t
08. might be working
09. must
10. must
11. can’t have been
12. must
13. could be
14. needn’t
15. must
16. have to
17. were supposed to
18. couldn’t
19. couldn’t
20. have to
21. can
22. was able to
23. was able to
24. haven’t been able to
25. allowed to
26. must have gone
27. must have
28. may have had
29. ought not to have said
30. couldn’t have
31. might be
32. cannot
33. was able to
34. must be
35. needn’t have
36. can
37. can’t have bought
38. have to
39. No, the second sentence is incorrect.
40. No, the second sentence is incorrect.

Fonte dos Exercícios

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário